Review Detail

Sea Sucker Mounts

Sea Sucker Mounts 2012-11-10 05:07:39 EmaG
Rate This Gear 

EmaG Reviewed by EmaG    November 10, 2012 View all my reviews

Sea Sucker 4.5" mount

There should exist in every kayaker's toy box a small grouping of items that collectively exemplifies all that is simple, practical, rugged, and devoid of long-term attention. Said assemblage should tirelessly perform under a varied year's worth of conditions, and should do so in a way that is consistent and trust-invoking. The Sea Sucker mount (in the 4.5" diameter size) has now earned a place among my own personal collective, and the brand has solidified itself as one that will be called upon for many future needs.

In the interest of full disclaimer, I was presented, at no cost of my own, with two different outfits - a mount with attached dry box and a mount with affixed aluminum handle. Both were used in excess of three months, and were placed upon a variety of vessels in numerous aquatic conditions. The above descriptor paints a most useful illustration of the nature of the pump mechanism, so I will omit the technical and simply expound upon my own impressions.

For kayak anglers unwilling or unable to permanently alter their boats, these products offer an unparalleled sense of freedom. One can affix them to any flat surface (including the roughly textured facades of some popular models), and move them about at will. For owners of multiple boats or paddleboards, the range of said freedom is exponential. The cost of entry isn't cheap, however (the retail price for the dry box - at the time of press - is around 75 dollars), but the portability aspect drives home a notion that you will only need one set of your chosen outfit.

Of the two items, I found the dry box-donning mount to be the most useful. Similar in build and size to models offered by monikers recalling pouched birds or playful sea mammals, the box-proper is solidly build and devoid of cheap parts or other compromising bits. Big enough for a smart phone, wallet, keys, fishing license, and snacks, the unit comes in what is likely to be a size welcomed by most anglers. The mounted box, like any Sea Sucker product, can affix to any flat surface, which, on most fishing kayaks, means the rear crate-well. On the Wilderness Systems Ride 115, said space was ample enough for a milkcrate and the Sea Sucker, with much room to spare. For highly occupied boats lacking much in the way of flat surfaces, finding space may be a problem. Many test paddles involved large and swamping wind waves or swells, and the dry box was never breached with water or elements. I even stuck it to the nose of a prone paddle board and proceeded to surf 3-4 foot waves. The box was often submerged beneath the sea's meniscus, but the contained phone stayed dry. It must also be said that the mount never dislodged from the board's surface.

The second model, complete with what Sea Sucker calls the aluminum handle, comes in handy when employed as an auxiliary D-ring. I found no shortage of uses for this product, and put it into service as a tertiary bungee mount, rod-leash tie off point, and fish stringer terminus. It must be stated that I did not fully test the limits of the item, but it is not inconceivable to envision the D-ring acting in a greater capacity, perhaps as a point onto which a kelp leash or small anchor is attached. The ring's radius is large enough to accommodate a full sized locking carabiner, and anglers will be hard pressed to maximize its mounting capacity. I fully trust the manufacturer's published breaking point, and often used the ring when lifting a vessel into the bed of a truck.

Sea Sucker offers a variety of pre-made options, many of which offer temptation to the kayak angler. Personally, my next purchase will involve a plain, flat topped mount. I will affix to this surface a GoPro mount, and thus expand - without the excessive and unsightly use of the stock 3M coated plastic chunks, a wide variety of photographic and video angle options.

In short, Sea Sucker has created a useful mounting system rife with potential and growth. I look forward to future innovations, both those stemming from the company and those coming from my own garage.

Was this review helpful to you? 
Report this review

Comments

To write a comment please register or log in.