Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler

Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 20 Apr 2010 05:27 #833

• johnt0148
  • ( User )
After months of research, comparing and reading reviews of several Kayaks, I decided to purchase a new Ascend FS12T Sit On Top Angler Kayak Item Number: 38-614-961-56 for my son so he could come fishing with me. The Assistant Manager of Bass Pro Shops held a new Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler Kayak for me as I was driving from Tallahassee to Destin (a 7 hour round trip) to purchase what appeared to be a good deal.

When I arrived at BPS, I purchased the Ascend and began loading it into my truck when I noticed several buckles on the bottom of the kayak. One of the buckles looked like a dent, and was about 18" in diameter and revealed a paper like quality of the plastic itself.

When I complained to the assistant manager of BPS, he informed me that this was the only Ascend they had in stock and the only other model that was comparable to the Ascend would cost me $850 instead of $480, a difference of $370. After pleading with the assistant manager, he reduced the $850 Kayak by 10% resulting in a $285 increase for what was basically the same kayak. Talk about a bait and switch!

I posted a negative review on the Bass Pro Shop's website and I am the only person who can see it! Apparently BPS filter out any negative reviews of their products on their website so prospective buyers only see the postive reviews. No wonder I was suckered into driving 3 hours to purchase what looked like a great deal.
John
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 21 Apr 2010 01:46 #837

• JonS
  • ( User )
Welcome to the forums.

Very sorry you had such an experience but that is why I am not in favor of purchasing kayaks from mass merchants. In my book I discuss how to choose a kayak and why it isn't a good idea to purchase kayaks from non specialty businesses until you know what you are doing. Also buying an off brand like that which nobody is using is not good. Most often the kayaks are junk as you discovered.

Good luck with your purchase.

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 25 Apr 2010 06:49 #857

• johnt0148
  • ( User )
The Assistant Manager of BPS called apologized and sent me a Gerber Gator fishing knife and a $100 Gift card. This peace offering got my attention and I am willing to forgive BPS for their mistake. It is when a company refuses to take responsibility for their actions that their actions can hurt their profit. “Customer Relationship Management” is a science of managing everyone who comes in contact with your business. When one person has a legitimate complaint against a company’s product it has an exponential effect, especially in today’s cyber world.

Thanks to websites like this for providing a forum where real issues can be aired and shared. It has an effect on everyone’s bottom line.
John
Last Edit: 25 Apr 2010 06:50 by johnt0148.

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 25 Apr 2010 07:59 #858

• JonS
  • ( User )
John, glad they made it up to you. Tight lines and favorable winds.

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 25 Apr 2010 18:25 #860

I saw this kayak on the BPS website this weekend and I wound up in BPS here in Savannah and I asked if they had any of the Ascend FS12T in stock, I was told no. I asked if he or anyone else had an idea when the next shipment was coming in. The rep told me that they had a trailer full however they had to send them back because they were defective, turns out the trailer got so hot inside that the kayaks warped real bad and could not be sold. Is this common with this type of kayak? I have read only a handful of reviews and everyone but one had nothing but great things to say about it. I do live in Savannah and it gets really hot and humid down here so I am afraid that if it warped in a trailer what is going to happen when it is in my garage when not in use? I am kind put off buying from the big box stores but this kayak seems like a great deal and the configuration is what I am looking for.
Last Edit: 26 Apr 2010 03:15 by tailchaser.

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 26 Apr 2010 04:17 #861

• JonS
  • ( User )
Low end kayaks are made from low end materials. It's soft and more subject to issues. I once tested a kayak, I forget the brand. It was in the 80s and when I tied it down to my roof it crushed the kayak it was so soft.

There's a reason these kayaks cost so little. They're cheap. they may be OK for paddling around the lake in the summer but I wouldn't want to be trusting them as fishing vessels under a variety of circumstances.

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 26 Apr 2010 04:55 #863

• johnt0148
  • ( User )
Tailchaser,
I think you found the smoking gun! The Ascend I bought in Destin was extremely soft plastic on the bottom of the kayak, which is why I did not notice it in the store. I could push on it and it would bend several inches at a time. You would think that BPS's quality control would detect and correct the cause of this problem long before a cutomer loads one into the back of his pickup truck.
John

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 26 Apr 2010 05:05 #864

I checked the FS10 that they had there and it seemed very sturdy and the plastic seemed to be thick enough when i flicked it and pushed on it in several spots it didn't at all feel soft or cheaply made. do you think that the 80+ degree weather and the trailer sitting in the sun could have done that, the guy I talked to made it seem like they either forgot or didn't know they had them on a trailer. I guess I will have to wait a little longer before I choose, I just hope that I can get a used one down here, I inquired on 5 kayaks this last weekend and everyone got back to me just after they sold them. Maybe it wasn't meant to be ha ha.
Last Edit: 26 Apr 2010 05:07 by tailchaser.

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 26 Apr 2010 05:27 #865

• JonS
  • ( User )
Where are you located?

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 28 Apr 2010 03:15 #878

I am in Savannah GA

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 28 Apr 2010 07:05 #883

• JonS
  • ( User )
Probably not as many used kayaks there yet. A good thing to do is go on sites in the region and post that you are looking for a used kayak. Say what you're interested in. Often someone will contact you who was considering selling but hadn't gotten around to listing it yet. This way they PM you and the transaction becomes private and you don't have competition to deal with.

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 24 May 2010 04:54 #1040

I was working an event at BPS in Baltimore all weekend and couldn't help but notice the Ascend scuppers. The scuppers are obviously molded into the top and bottom mold sections, but are not drilled through. I think this may be serious quality control issue. They obviously drilled out the footwell and tankwell scuppers though. I think it is because they are built on the Tracker assemble line, and the people don't have a clue about kayaks. They probably thought it was a design error, in having scuppers in the seat area. Other than that, it seems like a decent entry level boat, but the capacity (325 pds) is kind of low for a sit-on-top 12 footer, and looks like a really wet platform in open water. The scuppers are extremely small too. The hatches also looked succeptible to leaks. BPS definately has the resources to design and build a decent kayak, but it seems as though they didn't talk to any kayakers in advance. This being said, the sit-inside Ascend looked more promising than the sit-on-top.

Update:
The pic on the BPS website does show the scuppers sealed.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10213830____SearchResults

But having paddled so many different models over the years, and seeing the seat layout, it may retain quite a bit of water. It reminds me of the old-old OK Drifters, which held so much water in the seats that OK redesigned them and resolved the issue. IMO the Ascend really should have seat scuppers, especially since the footwell ones are so small.

For those shopping at BPS though, they have Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT Anglers on sale right now, for $30 LESS than the Ascend Angler also! And they are lighter and have more weight capacity. :)

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_73731____SearchResults
Last Edit: 24 May 2010 07:06 by fishyaker.com.

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 25 May 2010 05:47 #1072

• JonS
  • ( User )
thanks John, the Scrambler is a tried and true design that's been around forever. I agree with John and I'd go with it long before I got something from a company that's new in the game and hasn't thought it all out.

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 03 Jul 2010 06:26 #1900

• Lindy Rig
  • ( User )
Yesterday I picked up my Ascend FS12T from Bass Pro in Concord, NC. I live about 40 min away.

I read the reviews here, and figured it would be fine for me. No inland waterways, no ocean kayaking... just lazy rivers and small lakes.

Took it out this morning and..

1) a little heavy for one person to put on top of the car (Thule Kayak racks), but manageable. Certainly easier going off the car to the water, than back up on the car from the water.

2) have to empty the hull using the threaded drain plug. Here's my question.. where is that water coming from? Can anyone help me there? Nothing came INTO the dry hole hatch, but it was wet in there too at the end of the day. Did not use any scupper plugs. Water wasn't too bad in the foot area or the back.. and didn't sit in any water.

3) As stated above: Using a thule rack with the stand up kayak holders, on an old buick. When I strapped the kayak to the rack tight enough to keep it from moving it DID put dents into the bottom of the yak! Depressions would be a better word. I am going to talk to Bass Pro about this.. there is a one year warranty on everything. I'll let you know.

lindy rig

PS. handled well, loved the time on the water.. perfect morning... caught fish!

Re:Bass Pro Shop's Ascend™ FS12T Sit On Top Angler 03 Jul 2010 11:36 #1903

Hi Jack,

The first time I loaded my FS12T on my truck, I made the mistake of tieing it on there bottom side down too. If you read the little instruction manual that comes with it, they tell you to transport it with the top side down, bottom side up. While I did have a dent in the bottom of mine where the forward Kayak Carrying Block was, once I took it inside to my Air Conditioned apartment, the dent popped right out.

As to the water you collected, check the scupper wells on the bottom to see if any of them have come loose from the upper section of the kayak. It is possible that your dry land testing may have caused one to come loose, or if you knocked it around a bit when loading it back up upon your return from the water it may have happened then. I modified mine so that the seat area scuppers would drain out and when I was drilling the holes, one of the scupper wells separated from the top section. I have a feeling that may be where you are getting your water. If one of those plastic welds comes loose, water that is forced up into the wells when you sit on it in the water only has one place to go since the tops are not open.

To check to see if one of the scupper wells is loose, the best way I know is to use a broom handle and insert it in the well and see if you can move the shaft of the well around any. The thermoplastic that the Kayak is made from is bendable so if it is loose, you should be able to move it without damaging the plastic unless you get too vigorous with your testing. If that is the case, you may have to open the scupper up from the top by drilling a hole and use either a plastic welding set up or even a pencil type soldering gun to melt the two sections, upper and lower back together. All this is assuming that you can't get Bass Pro Shop to do anything about it.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds

Login

Newsletter

Subscribe here to receive FREE email issues of Kayak Fishing Magazine.

Latest Kayak Reviews

Feelfree Moken 12.5

Pelican Castaway 100

Ascend FS10

Sun Dolphin Excursion 10

Santa Cruz Kayaks Raptor SOT

Old Town Predator 13

RTM Kayaks Tempo Angler

Hobie Mirage Revolution 13

Stealth Pro Fisha 575

Stealth Pro Fisha 475

Santa Cruz Kayaks Raptor SOT